Saturday, August 16, 2008

Divisiveness

It seems to me that there is an increasing trend towards separation in our society over any number of things.

I think the most common are politics and religion. Some would argue race but it seems to me that race is lower down. Some might argue income or wealth but those also seem further down the ladder to me as well.

The expansion of the Internet has made it harder to know someone's race or sexual orientation or income or wealth. Hasn't made it harder for people to make assumptions though.

Jackson Browne apparently is only interested in listeners to his music that are not conservative. I am certain his camp would argue the suit is not political but that would be with a wink to those they like and a nod to those they detest. (I adapted wink and nod for my own purposes thank you very much.) That's another trend for people to "spin" things and avoid saying whatever they really mean. It is quite an art actually.

We humans have always been divided, of course, about most things. Sometimes we unify around something and even then it usually isn't 100% of us.

So it isn't really a new trend I suppose but only new in the sense that there are different ways to divide from each other.

It strikes me strange that given the opportunity we find for ways to separate rather than ways to unite. Yet we talk a lot about uniting. What we mean is that the other guy should swim on over here where we are.

My stepdaughter is in town and we are having a wonderful time. It is so good to see her again and to enjoy her company. And her mother is so happy to be reunited with her daughter. Their relationship is just truly wonderful to behold to me.

The opposite of divisive.

3 comments:

Annie said...

I don't know Terry, I think artists protect their copyright no matter who violates it. Would he have allowed it if the campaign had had the courtesy to ask? I think probably not.

I'm glad you are having a good time with your stepdaughter.

Lori1955 said...

What boggles my mind the most is that while we spend so much time looking at the things that divide us, everyone keeps talking about how they are trying to unite us. :)

I'm glad you are having such a wonderful time with your stepdaughter there.

Unknown said...

Quoting from the article:
"The lawsuit claims the song's use was an infringement of his copyright and will lead people to conclude he endorses McCain. The suit says Browne is a lifelong liberal who is well-known for his music as being 'an advocate for social and environmental justice.'"

The Ohio Republican Party pulled the ad when Browne objected. The lawsuit was filed afterwards against McCain's committee, Ohio Republican Party, and National Republican party.

It seems pretty clear to me that the objection was over the song's use by a non-liberal.

That's why I felt it was an example of divisiveness.