Sunday, October 21, 2007

Forward

The sermon in church this morning was on moving forward.

Part of moving forward the speaker said is not allowing the past to hold you back.

I am certain he wasn't talking about a particular caregiver whose father and patient just recently died. But it made me think a lot about the similarities between my life and the message.

It is a valid point that I know well from experience. I've done it myself before for one thing. And I've seen a lot of other people make the same mistake.

That's not to say one should ever forget the past or certainly the lessons learned from previous experience. I am convinced that history does not have to be repeated when it comes to mistakes.

Reminded me of a Mary Chapin Carpenter song: Not Too Much To Ask

To hear you say my name, to see you search my eyes
To feel you touch my hand, it more than satisfies.
If I was not the first, just say I'll be the last
It's too much to expect, but it's not too much to ask.

Now I can only dream of being all you need
And I can only try to be the reason why
You think about today and forget about the past
It's too much to expect, but it's not too much to ask.

Now I can only dream of being all you need
And I can only try to be the reason why
You think about today 'cause the past is just the past
It's too much to expect, but it doesn't hurt to ask
It's too much to expect, but it's not too much to ask.

2 comments:

~Betsy said...

Thank you for sharing this message, Flinty. It's very timely for me right now. I continue to drag myself down by focusing on things I can't change. I get angry that Dad was taken so soon and Mom is stuck with this crappy disease. I also get hung up on my brother's apparent lack of interest. I just blogged about these things today. It's time to move forward - being stuck in the past is only bringing me down.

By the way, I love Mary Chapin Carpenter.

Lori1955 said...

Yes moving forward is important but there is a small part of me that will always belong to the past. Somehow accepting the past may just be what moves me forward.