Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Estelle Getty

Estelle Getty, who played Sophia on The Golden Girls, died July 22, 2008. She suffered from Lewy Body Dementia that had previously been diagnosed as both Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. Those of us who know something about Alzheimer's and Parkinson's also understand how the Lewy Body could be diagnosed as either.

I'm blogging about this because I have read several articles that included reports criticizing her Golden Girl costars for not attending her funeral.

I became so irritated at reading these reports.

I think that anyone who has lost someone close to dementia can very easily understand not attending a funeral for the person.

That's all I'm going to say about it but I am still fuming.

2 comments:

rilera said...

I love that show and I especially loved Estelle as Sophia. Mom still watches every afternoon on Lifetime. It always makes her laugh.

Lori1955 said...

I too have been irritated over the remarks about her costars not being there. The media doesn't understand that Estelle was gone a long time ago. In addition, her costars are all up there in years. Heck, give them a break.