Friday, December 28, 2007

Self-Control

self-control, noun
1. The act of denying yourself; controlling your impulses.
2. The trait of resolutely controlling your own behavior.

Like a city whose walls are broken down is a man who lacks self-control.
Proverbs 25:28 NIV

As Paul discoursed on righteousness, self-control and the judgment to come, Felix was afraid and said, "That's enough for now! You may leave. When I find it convenient, I will send for you."
Acts 24:25 NIV

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
Galatians 5:22-23 NIV

So then, let us not be like others, who are asleep, but let us be alert and self-controlled.
1 Thessalonians 5:6 NIV

But since we belong to the day, let us be self-controlled, putting on faith and love as a breastplate, and the hope of salvation as a helmet.
1 Thessalonians 5:8 NIV

Now the overseer must be above reproach, the husband of but one wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach,
1 Timothy 3:2 NIV

People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God
2 Timothy 3:2-4 NIV

Rather he must be hospitable, one who loves what is good, who is self-controlled, upright, holy and disciplined.
Titus 1:8 NIV

Teach the older men to be temperate, worthy of respect, self-controlled, and sound in faith, in love and in endurance.
Titus 2:2 NIV

Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed.
1 Peter 1:13 NIV

The end of all things is near. Therefore be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray.
1 Peter 4:7 NIV

Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.
1 Peter 5:8 NIV

For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love.
2 Peter 1:5-7 NIV

Yesterday I was watching the news about the assassination of Benazir Bhutto in Pakistan. Pakistan is just one of the places around the world that seems almost hopeless for some kind of peaceful life. It made me think about our republican form of government and our open society and how dependent we are upon each member of our society exercising self-control.

I think it was Plato or Socrates or someone that I barely remember reading that believed that democracy would ultimately fall to anarchy and then anarchy would fall to dictatorship.

I thought it was interesting how many verses I found in the Scripture. And even more interesting the context of several.

My ex-mother-in-law died last night. My daughter remarked to me that she was so surprised she had lost 3 of her grandparents within just a few months. She and my son have no grandparents left alive now. She was more my 2nd or 3rd mother I guess since I met her when I was only 15 or 16. I saw her probably as much or more as my own mother then for the next 28 years or so.

7 comments:

Lori1955 said...

I don't know if I like the idea of self control when I look at the definition. Denying myself? Have done that for years. Controlling impulses? I would really love to just act on impulse for awhile. I will concede however to controlling some behavior.

Annie said...

I'm sorry for your loss, Terry.

~Betsy said...

Self-control took me years to learn. I'm glad I have because I pick my battles now. I do think it is paramount to a peaceful life.

I'm sorry to hear of your ex-mother-inlaw's passing. I will remember her in my prayers.

Joanne said...

Sorry to hear of your ex-mother-inlaw's passing, Terry.

As for the self-control, I'd like to think I've denied myself and controlled impulses. Like Betsy, I've learned to pick my battles. Though, I'd prefer not to battle at all.

nancy said...

first let me give you my condolences on your ex-mother-in-law.

self control has always been an issue with me. some times i do a really good job at it but other times i wish i could just bite my lip and say nothing. unfortunately there are times when my emotions get the best of me. like betsy said, it is paramount to a peaceful life; that and being non-judgmental.

as usual, great post terry.

dave said...

Sorry for your loss, you will always remember the good times.
I am no prophet, but it does not look good for this country, or for the whole world.
Thanks for your writing.

Anonymous said...

I too am sorry for your loss.

I wish you much joy in your new home...A house is just four walls, the people who live within those walls make it a home!

I had to make THAT call to "friends" of Mom's who were my "second parents" as well. I pretty much grew up in their home, their son and I are the same age. They lived across the street from Mom up until a few months ago.