Thursday, December 13, 2007

YWAM Shooting in Denver

I was really saddened to read about the shootings at the Youth With A Mission ministry in Denver. Some years ago I was privileged to do some custom programming for this group. The two young people on the left in the image below were killed. The two on the right are in the hospital still when I wrote this. I've copied some text posted on the web site below:

"The young man – I don't know who he is; I don't think [the victims] knew him – but he must be going through a lot personally in his own life to do something like this. Our belief is that only God is the judge and our place is to forgive and that's a difficult thing to do, but really, I think it's the right thing to do," said Warren.

There are about 80 people living on the Arvada campus and they have been transported to the group's mountain campus near Golden, Colorado where they will stay while the murder investigation is processed at their residence. Warren says they are trying to deal with this situation as best as they can.

"There's no blueprint for this," said Warren. "You know, we're just going to be honest, we're going to pray with one another and cry with one another. These kids were like our kids, you know. It's just such a tragedy, but who knows what's going on in this young man's life."

6 comments:

rilera said...

The woman was from Chisholm, MN and the security guard at the church is also a Minnesotan so there has been lot's about this in our local news. It's so sad that someone can take a life full of promise and goodness in a matter of seconds. I'll never understand it.

~Betsy said...

These random shootings - or they appear random - seem so senseless. I can't imagine what is going on in the shooter's mind at the moment they actually fire their gun. I just can't imagine.

My prayers are with these families. I hope they find peace.

Lori1955 said...

What amazes me is the forgiveness that the church directs toward this killer. I just don't think I could do that.

cornbread hell said...

such a sad story.
but the forgiveness aspect is inspiring, uplifting. thanks for passing this on, terry.

dave said...

I am head deacon in my church, and this kind of thing sends a chill down my back. What can I do to protect my people? I do not know, and that makes it even more troubling.

nancy said...

thanks for sharing, i had not heard. such a tragedy.....such losses.