Friday, July 13, 2007

Birthdays

I am 59 today.

I have, maybe not always but for a while, tried to remember others' birthdays. I try to remember and send cards to a few people. I don't always do a good job of it. I've tried to do something a little special in honor of my own, too. After all without a birthday - well there is no after all without one.

Last year I visited Barnes and Noble and bought a book. And then I sat in the little Starbucks there and read for a while. Then I went to Furr's and bought some liver and onions to take home with me. I hadn't had any liver and onions in a long time and I really wanted some. It was a pretty good birthday last year. It was a Thursday last year and I had my four hours and that's how I spent it.

Four hours isn't very long for some things and way too long for others.

This birthday is different somehow though. There is not one thing I can think of that I want. I am tired, too. Not physically tired really but emotionally tired. Today is a busy day for me anyway. It's Friday and Fridays are always busy. I haven't figured out exactly how I'm going to do things today. My brother is covering for me tonight so I get an entire evening and night off.

This is a lonely birthday. I don't really understand all the reasons why. It has something to do with my dad's Alzheimer's. It has something to do with being his caregiver. There are other things, too. Responsibility things - duty things - change things - to do things - to name a few.

I'm really grateful for my birthday though. I am grateful for my family and my wonderful wife and dad and all the things The Lord has allowed me to do.

I think I am most grateful that I know The Lord and that He knows me.

UPDATE (Saturday July 14, 2007 - morning)

I had a great birthday. I received text messages from several and e-mails from more. My son brought me a Starbucks coffee and a Starbucks card. Then later the guys took me to Rudy's in Norman for lunch. Rudy's has good barbecue. After that we toured several places in Norman and then I ran all my errands. I had a haircut scheduled for 4 and made it with time to spare. Then it was out to my wife's place and we just had a great time. My son covered for me with dad for the afternoon cream application and my brother came that evening to spend the night. It was just a great day for me all the way round.