Monday, July 30, 2007

Sunday Friends

Yesterday I was sitting in church. It was during that time between Sunday School and the morning worship service.

Usually I sit in the same place by a fellow that is about 11 years older. He and I have become friends over the last couple of years. I always look forward to seeing him. He keeps saying he is retiring but he keeps getting just one more job.

I don't blame him either.

Mostly we talk about construction work and trips we would both like to take or have taken and sometimes about being single. His wife died about 3 years ago and he misses her and is lonely. I know that feeling.

Suddenly my cell phone vibrated for an incoming call. That's never a good sign when it happens on Sunday morning. It was my aide and she needed me. So I took my wife's purse to her and told her I'd be back as soon as I could and headed for home.

It's not far. It was a big mess and my aide had cleaned the carpet in the hallway and dad's floor as much as she could but dad wouldn't let her do more.

I thought about changing clothes but decided I wouldn't take the time. My aide said she didn't know where to start and I told her not to worry because I pretty much felt the same way but I'd done it before a few times. I had her wait downstairs. Soon I was done and dad was back in bed and I had my sport coat on again. And 2 more loads of laundry weere ready to do so I started one on my way out. I kept thinking I probably smelled. I kept smelling the odor, too.

My aide just graduated from college and is starting graduate school this fall. I am so impressed with these young people that have come to be my aides. They are just such exceptional young people. They could do other things to make money or not even work at all for that matter. But they choose to be caregiver aides.

I made it back to church in time to meet my wife in our usual spot. It's kind of cool we have a spot. My friend sits on the end and then me and then my wife. Today my wife patted my shoulder after we sat down. And my friend whispered to me that it was awfully nice to be touched like that. I know exactly what he meant, too.

More big messes after I returned home. Dad felt a little warm and I finally took his temperature with the new thermometer I have that you press against the temple. Don't know what I would do without it. Sure enough he is running temperature. Probably was yesterday, too. And that likely explains his difficulty walking yesterday. Don't know when I will learn these things.

Big laundry day for sure.

It's 3:30 Monday morning now. Always hard for me to go back to sleep after a middle of the night change.

5 comments:

nancy said...

hope you have a better day today and your father as well. any idea what the fever is from?

Unknown said...

He sometimes these runs these low grade fevers. We have no idea why. One such time was in the hospital and they never could find the reason either. Things seem to be starting out pretty good today.

Lori1955 said...

I must say that you have to be a pro at cleaning up messes if you could do all that and still make it back for Church. Of course these things we get so good at would never look good on a resume' would they.

Unknown said...

Ha! I am amazingly efficient at some of these things but they are definitely not good on a resume'. Usually I can do it without getting too much on myself. The one exception is if I have to leave at a certain time for an important appointment. That's when I will invariably get dirty.

~Betsy said...

I'm sorry to see your dad is feeling so poorly. This job is never ending - it doesn't even take a break for Sunday church. I hope he is feeling better soon and that you get some well-deserved rest.