Sunday, March 23, 2008

Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln

I am reading several books as usual but this one has captured my attention and imagination.

I bought the Kindle version so I don't have this cover.

Shown on the cover is Edwin M. Stanton on the far left and then Salmon P. Chase. Next is Lincoln. Then seated next in the foreground is William H. Seward and seated to the far right is Edward Bates.

The thing that fascinates me and that Doris Kearns Goodwin writes about is the fact that all of these men were intense political opponents of Lincoln. But he invited and persuaded them all to serve in his cabinet. He also invited men who were Democrats to serve.

It would be something like if George W. Bush in his first administration had invited John McCain and Al Gore to be cabinet members.

It is the combining of these opposing, brilliant, and strong personalities that interests me. It is, too, something I did not really understand about Lincoln and it gives me a new appreciation for the man - actually men and women in this case - but that needs explaining.

I'll write more about it. I haven't finished it. Doggone thing has 944 pages in the hardcover edition and weighs 2.4 pounds. That's a problem I don't have with the Kindle version but it still is an awful lot of words.

This has been a really difficult week for me.

I'm taking some time off from blogging for a while.

Peace and grace.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

terry,
i pray that you find the strength and peace you need right now in your life. i will miss your posts yet i understand. please do what you need to do for yourself right now. i will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. and i will look forward to your return. you will be missed. God bless you and hold you close in His arms.

~Betsy said...

I also can understand the difficult weeks. My prayers are with you, Terry.

Anonymous said...

Praying for you, Terry! May God hold you close and provide comfort and strength as He watches over you.



" The LORD bless you, and keep you;
The LORD make His face shine on you, And be gracious to you;
The LORD lift up His countenance on you,And give you peace."
Numbers 6:24-26