Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Started Writing

I wrote yesterday, February 19, 2008. The program reports 1,384 words thus far. I spent a good 6 hours I think getting to where I am. Probably wrote three times that many words but these are the ones that have survived. And where I am is somewhere near the beginning. Although I am having some trouble finding where that is. But I decided it was worthwhile to try and find it and start somewhere near there.

My working title is "Life From The Porch," of course. I thought of a good many others but decided this one was sufficient for now at least.

I am not happy really with the format I'm using. But I think the more I write the more I'll find things that are comfortable.

Anniversaries of events loom large in my mind.

2 comments:

~Betsy said...

The key, Terry, is to write it all down. Just let it pour out. Then go back and edit yourself - and then edit again, and again and again. Stephen King claims he often edits himself at least 8 times.

My problem is that I self edit as I go. I can't help it. I know what I should do, but doing it is an entirely different matter.

By the way, you may want to grab a copy of Stephen King's 'On Writing'. It's the best how to writing book I have ever read. I'm not a huge King fan, but this book was incredibly helpful.

Good luck and keep at it.

Joanne said...

Congratulations on starting that book, Terry. I love Life on the Porch here, so I can't imagine not loving in book form. I agree with Betsy, 'On Writing' is an excellent book about how to write.