Thursday, September 11, 2008

Nine Eleven - 7 Years

Seven years have passed.


Last year I wrote about what that day was like for me and mom and dad.  The memory of the day is no less vivid for me now than it was a year ago or even the day itself.   

I think the memory that will outlast all others will be the one of walking outside and experiencing the silence and the absolute emptiness of the skies.

In 2001 on September 11th I did not know that my mother would be dead in just a few weeks.  And last year in 2007 on September 11th I did not know that my dad would be dead in just a few days.  And this year on September 11th I have no idea what may happen in the next few days or even in the next few minutes as I am writing this.

I have been fascinated lately by the idea of how the unplanned and unexpected can so suddenly intrude upon our lives.

We plan and plot and scheme.  I like to make little lists on my Treo calendar of things I need to do and then check them off as they are completed.  I think it gives me some kind of sense of control when I check off my little tasks.  If I can't check them off I like to move them to some future date.  Either way though it gives me this sense of controlling my own destiny.

It is a false notion of course.  I know it is false even though I sometimes act like I don't.  I haven't always known it.  There was definitely a time when I really did think I was the master of my own fate.  I was insufferably arrogant then and knew very little of life.  Certainly I should have known better having lived on the farm.  

That's one thing I am thinking aobut this year.  

Another thing is that we've not been attacked again.  I think it was nearly unanimous back in 2001 that we would be attacked again.  I remember someone saying that it was not a matter of if but a matter of when.  And it seemed likely to me as well.  So I am surely surprised and grateful that we've been spared another attack.

Yet another thought is that it seems to me our collective memory of the event is dimmer this year.  Maybe I am wrong.  I hope the memorial services will help keep alive the memory of the event itself as well as remembering those individuals who perished for the cause of terror.

I read the following on a page of the National Memorial web that I thought was worth repeating:
The tragedy of terrorism is that it targets real people - mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, sons, daughters, cousins, aunts, uncles, and grandparents.
This is something we should not forget about terrorism and terrorists. I see no justification for terrorism and I do not see how one compromises with such people.

3 comments:

~Betsy said...

I also have vivid memories of the events of 2001. The whole day, I kept thinking I was living what would one day be described in a history book. It was surreal.

Lori1955 said...

I too remember that day and the days afterward. The silence, the flags flying, strangers suddenly talking to each other. I recently heard a young person say "that was 7 years ago, get over it". I hope that isn't the attitude this country is taking.

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

I spoke with my mom that day. I was scared out of my skin. She told me she felt the same way the day Pearl Harbor was bombed. She said this was my Pearl Harbor. I will never forget those words.

I know I will never feel totally safe again. I didn't lose anyone in the attacks but the world as I knew it is very different now. I will never forget as long as I live.