Friday, September 26, 2008

Rancher Flinty

Not really.

But it does remind me of my childhood when I would get up early with Dad and we would together go out and do the chores with the cattle.

I do find it interesting that the more time I spend the horses the more comfortable we all become with each other. I remember that with the cattle, too.

My son and I were talking about it yesterday. He remembered the year that he lived with my mom and dad. During that time there was a new born calf that had to be raised by hand. He said he recalled asking my dad if he thought it would live and dad said he didn't. My son said they kept the calf in the well house. I kind of recall that but not the details of it. Anyway that's a strong memory for my son. And the calf lived.

My daughter found dad's old cup and I took it over to the office trailer. I don't know how old that cup is. It used to have his name on it with one of those label things but that's long gone. We thought we'd save it and put it in the new office we will build some day.

A lady from The Oklahoman called me yesterday about the land we're donating to the City of Moore for a fire station. I couldn't talk then so she's calling back this morning. Beats me what I will say except to try to get her to spell our name correctly.

I'm off to take care of the horses.

2 comments:

Lori1955 said...

I'm trying to picture you as a rancher. Do you wear a cowboy hat?

Unknown said...

In a cowboy hat I kind of look like a mushroom! So I wear a ball cap.

I never could wear boots either so it's New Balance hiking shoes for me.