Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Omaha to OKC

My allergies behaved extremely well while I was away. I did have one episode that I am certain was an allergic reaction to something - probably something I ate - and that was at 3:00 AM Monday morning. So I wasn't all that bright eyed and bushy tailed Monday morning when it was time to leave for home.

But a little caffeine fix from Starbucks made it livable.

We drove west out I-80 from Omaha to York and then turned south on US 81. What a great, wonderful country we have in the good old United States of America.

Between my home in Oklahoma and Omaha there are thousands and thousands of acres of some of the best looking farm land I have ever seen. In Nebraska and Kansas there is a lot of irrigation, too. The irrigation is provided by these huge sprinkler systems that are just awesome in their size and concept. At least to me they are awesome.

Ever so often there is a little clump of human life made evident by a home and out buildings and equipment of one kind or another. The older homes are my favorite but here and there you see manufactured housing, too. We used to call them trailer homes. But really today these things are very nice and many are quite large.

On the plains are towns and often you know the towns are there from many miles away because you see these huge grain elevators rising above the horizon to mark them out. I think about what it must be like to live out here in this country. I would like it I know because I like the openness of the plains and the rolling hills and skies that stretch for miles.

I know some people do not like this and prefer the cities. Omaha is a large city and so is Kansas City. The smaller communities are very nice as well even though they are not nearly so large.

And then I always think about the wonder of driving on a 4 lane ribbon of concrete that traverses the entire land. That alone should fit into the wonders of the world.

We made it back home in time for rush hour traffic in Oklahoma City. Which is not really very much compared to traffic in Dallas and other bigger places I've been. But it was enough to remind me that we lived in a more populated place.

Finally we were home again and the horses watched us as we drove by the corral. They would have preferred us to stop and feed them. It was good to be home.

1 comment:

Lori1955 said...

Welcome back. It's always good to be home but there is also something very freeing about being on the open road. This really is a beautiful country.