Thursday, September 27, 2007

Walking Outside

It has been more than a year that I was able to jog and walk outside.

So Wednesday morning I dusted off my Garmin GPS monitor and put on the chest strap. I thought at first I would just jog around here but then Judy had a package to pickup at the UPS store so I drove over and retrieved it. Then I delivered it to her and we visited a few minutes.

She's all involved in this big performance the orchestra is doing this weekend. An arranger is sending her all the parts for the different instruments and she has to print them and distribute them to all the musicians. It is proving pretty stressful for her.

I have no idea how that's done in the first place. She has to figure out which instrument goes with the arranger's work. I asked her how she knew and she explained some stuff but I still don't have a clue.

There's a great park out by her house that has an excellent track and is usually nearly deserted. So I drove there. I left my phone and my water in the car. I think I could really get used to not carrying the phone with me everywhere. It was really humid but not terribly hot. I got in about 42 minutes before I decided to call it quits. I decided to refrain from doing too much outside the first day.

I drove over to Starbucks and got a tall dark roast. I find it interesting still that Starbucks' sizes are Tall, Grande, and Venti. Well, there is a Short, but you have to ask for it.

I made an appointment for a hair cut. I made it for the morning. That was deliberate because I haven't been able to make a morning appointment in a while. Felt pretty good.

Worked out some more and prepared for some business meetings coming up. I'm thinking I'm going to devote some time to getting myself back in shape. I've gained some weight since Dad's been in hospice and this would be a good time to concentrate on losing it.

My daughter let me know her father-in-law is in the hospital. That made me wonder if there would be more deaths in my little various circles of friends and relatives. I've noticed over the years that things often come in threes. I hope not. In my Alzheimer's blog group I was the third.

Later Judy called when she was done at the church. She came over and we went out for dinner! No reason. No planning. Just doing what we decided to do on the spur of the moment.

So today I have a haircut, business meeting, lunch, and a meeting with a security group to add some additional security to the house.

I think I can really get the hang of this.

Blessings to all.

PS: I'm still praying for all of you.

8 comments:

~Betsy said...

I feel like you are reclaiming your life. That's a very good thing! I'm really happy to see things falling into place, Terry (still having a hard time getting accustomed to calling you that).

nancy said...

i sensed a calmness in your voice reading your post. i am glad for you. it will be tough but we caregivers do need to reclaim our lives, or at least some type of new life for ourselves. with russ' burial not until saturday i still have some time.

blessings to you too terry.

Lori1955 said...

I love calling you Terry.
I can't believe you are exercising and running. Good for you. I have gained a lot of weight in the past 4 years. Yesterday I thought about exercising but that's as far as I've gotten.
I'm so glad things seem to be coming together for you.

SKYGIRL said...

Ditto! I am so grateful you are still posting, and doing so well, Terry. We all need to hear this, and you set a great example.

I already know I will be a basket-case when my Mom Passes On. It will not matter when or how, I just will be.

I am so glad that 'there is Life, after caregiving' so many people need to know this. I sure hope they 'open' that "Life After AD" Message Board, on the Alz Assoc Forum. It is needed, greatly.

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

Good for you! I am going to start doing the same thing tomarrow. Sick of my legs hurting and my clothes not fitting well anymore.

What a nice way to cleanse the mind and strengthen the body by just getting out and living again. yay for Flinty!

StefanieRose said...

It seems like you are doing pretty good my friend. This ofter is open to you as well... if you need me I will lay down my soul at Rent-a-horse and get myself a white horse and ride over to you! :) Its just because I care about you, thats all. And its 2am and I am lacking much sleep. LOL

Unknown said...

Thanks Betsy, Nancy, Lori, Sky, Chris, and Stef.

You all are such good friends and I appreciate your comments so very much.

It seems I am busier than I anticipated. I am up early this Friday morning because I thought I heard something and had to check it out.

Probably because we met yesterday with the security people who are adding more security here at the house next week. Strange to think there is no one here all the time any longer.

In a way I miss the time I had sitting in front of the computer and reading the forums and blogs. I don't have as much time now to do that.

Blessings to all of you and much love and care.

cornbread hell said...

good for you! get on with it, man.

and throughout it all you're still finding time to mentor 'the group.' thank you. your words of wisdom are always welcome.

(i also read the danny post, but won't comment there. i would only repeat myself. "good for you. thanks.")